Sunday 11 October 2009

Oatmeal revisited and snacking.


Further to yesterday's post about getting back on the oatmeal train, here's a (pretty crappy) picture of tonight's dinner, Mexican Hot Chocolate Oatmeal:


This was pretty easy - 1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c water, and 1/2 c chocolate soy milk microwaved for about 5 minutes (stirred a few times throughout to keep it from overflowing), then a drop of almond extract, about a teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and about a tablespoon of chocolate chips. I suppose I should've added a pinch of cayenne to give it heat, but I didn't feel like having spicy-hot oatmeal.

Something I realise every now and again is that we don't really have a lot of snacking options in the house. Usually, if we're hungry and in need of a small meal, I end up making pasta or something like that. We very rarely have something already prepared, something we can just pick up and eat (or at least, throw in the microwave for a few seconds and it's ready to eat).

I'm not really sure how to rectify this, apart from always having muffins on hand. You see, if I haven't mentioned it already, I have a lot of food allergies (peanuts, pine nuts, walnuts, cashews, dates, and a lot of raw stuff, including avocado), which makes buying pre-packaged snacks pretty difficult. Actually, the pre-packaged is easy enough, if I wanna buy crisps or Bourbon creams. But if I want something that doesn't have the calories and sodium of a full meal while still leaving me hungry, I need better options. So, if anyone has any suggestions (recipes are even more helpful), please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Mexican hot chocolate oatmeal! Yummy!

    As for snacking, I think the best bet is to make things that would keep for a long time in the freezer or pantry. Off the top of my head: granola (just leave out all the nuts and use seeds instead), trail mix, sausages, burgers, bagels, vegan hot pockets/calzones. Sausages and burgers could always just be thrown on a small salad. Oh and hummus, hummus, hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I really need to start making my own hummus. The only problem with freezer stuff is that our freezer is [] this big. Right now it's frozen over and contains exactly one sandwich bag of chopped celery, and it's full. But thanks for the other suggestions. I'm gonna keep an eye out for your snack post!

    ReplyDelete