Friday 2 October 2009

MoFo Fail



I was gonna do a post today about cleaning out my cupboards and seeing what exactly is in there. I even took the 'before' photos. But then I had to go out, and I decided, since I needed to go to the store, I'd take a long bus ride, get some reading done, and go to the Sainsbury's out by IKEA. It was after 4 by the time I got home, and by the time I made my snack and watched CSI, it was nearly 7, and there was no natural light left. So, I'm gonna put off that project until tomorrow. In the meantime, I give you the VeganMoFo survey!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Alpro soya for the B-vitamins, Oatly Oat Milk for the taste (organic only - the fortified varieties have D3 (not vegan!), which makes me sad because their chocolate milk was the best)

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
English muffins (to see if I can start making them myself instead of buying 3 packs a week), cinnamon rolls, sourdough (I dunno, I didn't really think about this one and haven't really planned much)

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
nooch and Spike

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
The only thing I can remember is the pumpkin muffins and carob chai cake that failed because of my dodgy oven. Sad times. I still haven't tried that cake again. Maybe I should do that this month.

5. Favorite pickled item?
DO NOT WANT - I don't think I like anything pickled.

6. How do you organize your recipes?
My own? I used to have a Word document, but my hard drive died and I lost it. :(

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I would love to compost, but we live in a flat and have nowhere to take it, and we don't have a disposal, so, unfortunately, trash.

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
tofu, pre-mixed scramble spice, nooch - I can always eat tofu scramble.

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Big Southern breakfasts at Gramma and Grandpa's house (not vegan!)

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
In the US - cookies & cream or mint chocolate chip, here - Swedish Glace vanilla

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
I love kitchen appliances. My top four are my hand mixer (29th b-day present from Mike), my waffle maker/grill/sammich maker, my hand blender/food processor, and my cast iron skillet combo (if that counts as an appliance).

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
cumin

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
In my actual possession, probably Vegetarian Celebrations by Nava Atlas (my mom brought it over), though I probably still have some (not vegan) cookbooks in TX.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Seedless raspberry

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
cupcakes

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
That would be like choosing between my children. But, if I must...seitan.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I love to cook, but I guess breakfast, because it's somehow more acceptable to have breakfast for dinner than dinner for breakfast.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Hopefully nothing, since the counter top is only about an inch above it.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Only one item currently fits in my freezer, and that is a bag of chopped celery. The only time I ever had the foresight to prep and freeze a vegetable that I knew I wouldn't use before it went off.

20. What’s on your grocery list?
Whatever we like at the Farmers' Market, since I just went to the Big Box today.

21. Favorite grocery store?
If we're talking Big Box, it has to be Sainsbury's, since they're so good at labeling their vegan stuff and seem to have a really good selection. After reading Not on the Label, I'm trying to buy less from the Big Boxes.

22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Gramma's Mexican fudge

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
I just started getting in to food blogs, but The Great Vegan Conspiracy is a really good one.

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Right now, probably Ritter Sport Peppermint, since it's the one I have to really control myself to not buy every time I see it.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
We don't really do extravagant food purchases, though we'll be going to lunch in Glasgow next week, and that'll probably be more than we usually pay for lunch.

26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
Fruit other than apples, just because I don't usually like fruit other than apples (unless it's in the form of seedless raspberry jam).

I'm gonna go make dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment