Friday 16 October 2009

Cookbook challenge, week 8, day 6 - Vegan Vittles


I'm just doing a short post today. Mike's watching a movie (on my computer), and I promised I'd be quick.

Today I made the Muffins That Taste Like Donuts


I have to say, these just don't taste like donuts. At all. They're good (and Mike said they look nice), but not 'taste like donuts' good. Even if I filled them with jam or cream, they still wouldn't even vaguely resemble donuts. Mike and I both liked them enough, though he thinks they're too cinnamon-y, and I don't think they have enough cinnamon. Next time, if I want donut-y flavour in a non-donut, I'll make the Jelly Donut Cupcakes in V'con. And if I want cinnamon muffins, I'll make my own recipe, which I actually prefer.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with this book. The best recipe so far was a soup, and an easy one at that, something I probably could've come up with myself. I'm gonna try out the calzone dough tomorrow (I don't like the look of the filling in the book, so I'm gonna do VB Italian Feast sausages and spinach), and maybe I'll have another look through to see if there's anything else I might want to make, but I don't really see myself going back to this one all that often. I hate saying that about a vegan cookbook, especially one by a respected member of the community (she's been vegan a hell of a lot longer than I have), but I have so many cookbooks that have so many more excellent recipes (like one of her other ones, The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook).

Mike's sighing audibly and head-butting me (like Stampy from that one episode of the Simpsons), so I'll leave it at that for now, but I might come back and revise my thoughts on this.

2 comments:

  1. Damn. I was just gonna say that I wanted to buy the book because those muffins look so good. Maybe I'll just check it out from the library to see if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegan Vittles is a really old book, I think you have to take that into consideration when cooking from it. The original version is from 1996 and the reissue is from 2007, but I'm sure they used a lot of the recipes from the old book in there (I only have the old one, I've not bought the reissue yet to find out). A lot has changed in vegan cooking in the last 10 years and great leaps forward have been made so we expect a lot more from our cookbooks than vegans used to I think. I've made a few things out of VV that I like but if I'm looking for up to date recipes it's not one I reach for. Anyway, with so many great vegan cookbooks out there having one less on your favourite list could be a good thing! :o)

    ReplyDelete