Saturday 7 September 2013

Southern Saturday - Biscuits and Gravy

My Saturday theme is Southern Saturdays.  One of my 40 before 40 goals is to cook my way through Cookin' Crunk by Bianca Philips.  I've already made a few recipes, and I thought this would be a good way to get some more stuff out of the way.

I figured what better way to start (blogging, at least) than that good ol' Southern breakfast (or, if you're me, brinner) staple, biscuits and gravy.  Seriously, biscuits and gravy is one of my death row last meal foods, so how could I not make these?

I used the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy with Sage recipes.  Like Bianca says, every Southern cook has a biscuit recipe in their arsenal, and hers is really similar to the one I usually make.  The only difference is that I usually use white flour.  The only change I made to her recipe was to make cat-head biscuits instead of rolling and cutting.  For the gravy, I used some leftover Tempeh Sausage Crumbles from VwaV that I made the other day in place of the Gimme Lean called for.  I also cooked the gravy in the skillet used for the sausage because that's the way gravy should be made.

Despite using all whole wheat flour, the biscuits were soft and fluffy.  I honestly expected to like them less than I did, but they were great.  The gravy was delicious and was perfect with the biscuits, though I think I prefer white gravy.  I would definitely make this again.  I think I'll try the Chocolate Gravy next time!

4 comments:

  1. I had to google cat's head biscuits, I'd never heard the term before :)

    And I think I need to buy this book! Also, I like that you have a list of 40 things to make, I hope you get through the list :)

    Finally, chocolate gravy!? Looking forward to your post on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually 40 things to do before I'm 40 (like places to travel, things to learn, etc.). It's like a bucket list except less morbid!

      Delete
  2. I love biscuits and gravy but I've actually never made them myself! Ridiculous right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biscuits and gravy are our favorite comfort food to make. One person on the biscuits, one person on the gravy, and it's done in no time.

    ReplyDelete