Tuesday 3 September 2013

Bean failure


My intention for today was to make a bean-based quiche-type thing.  I threw some beans in the slow cooker and left them while I was at work (so, about 8 1/2 hours).  When I got home, I tested a bean, and it was still kinda hard.  Dammit.  So, no bean-based quiche-type thing tonight.

I was already suuuuper hungry when I got home.  I was gonna just have some toast, but then I realised that I didn't have anywhere to put the toaster because the slow cooker was in the way.  Then it hit me - grilled cheese.  Even better - grilled cheese with V Bites (formerly Redwood Foods) garlic sausage slices.  Holy crap, I love these things.

Here's a not-very-attractive phone pic of my delicious sammich:



I used Allinson's high fiber white bread, Tesco smoked-style cheese (or whatever the hell it's called), and the aforementioned V Bites garlic sausage slices.  It was one of the best sammiches I've ever eaten.  In fact, I'm really tempted to eat another.

Mike will be eating a Tesco value pot noodle for dinner because we're classy like that.


I'm ... gonna go make another sammich.

5 comments:

  1. Did you start with dried beans? Those have to be prepped in advance. The most common way is to pre-soak them for 24 hours, but I like to use this technique which I find gets them closer to the right texture and takes much less time: http://www.frugallivingnw.com/frugal-homemaking/cooking-dried-garbanzo-beans-making-homemade-hummus/ (it works for any beans, not just garbanzo). Hope this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vegan slow cooker book says you don't have to pre-soak if you cook them in the slow cooker, and I (mistakenly) trusted that. I usually soak overnight+ when I cook beans in a pot. I turned them up to high and cooked for another hour and a bit and they're fine now.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, sandwich! I want sandwich now too but it's late, I've had dinner and there's no bread in the house. Fail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always annoys me when I open the pot or pressure cooker only to find the legumes still rock hard, especially after so long - booo!

    But, your sammige looks so good, I'd have another if I were you ;)

    ReplyDelete