Wednesday 25 September 2013

Lazy day - pizza for dinner

Today was payday, I got an email for 2-for-1 + 7.5% off* pizza from Pizza Hut, and I was feeling lazy.  Guess what we had for dinner!

Pizza Hut pan pizza crust is vegan (at least in the UK).  Also, if you order online, you can do all your additions (+shrooms and olives for me, +onions and mixed peppers for Mike) and subtractions (-cheese for both of us) without having to speak to a person!  As you might imagine, I love ordering from the Hut.

I had some of the Tesco smoky cheese left over from taco night, so I grated the rest of it and had just enough to lightly cover both pizzas.  If I'd had it, I would've thrown something chick'ny onto my pizza (my pregan favourite was chicken pan pizza with extra cheese), but I didn't.  It was good!

*There's a thing here called VAT Parity Day, which is the day on which food and drink business owners cut their prices by 7.5% in some kind of protest at the fact that you have to pay VAT on restaurant food but not on food you buy at the store.  I'm not entirely clear on why this is unfair or whatever.  There are a number of reasons why people don't eat out as much as they make their own food, and while cost comes into it, I don't think anyone would really notice if restaurants paid 7.5% less tax because they'd probably leave their prices as they are anyway.  And even if they reduced their prices by 7.5% if they didn't have to pay VAT, it would still be more expensive than cooking my own food, so I would still eat at home about as much as I do now.

3 comments:

  1. I had vegan pizza for dinner tonight too! There must be something in the air in Edinburgh today :) Did you know that La Favorita do a great vegan pizza, and they even give you money off for not putting cheese on it? It was one of my most exciting vegan discoveries in Edinburgh this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! I looked at their menu once and thought there was no way I'd be able to eat there. I'll keep this in mind the next time I'm looking for somewhere to eat.

      Delete
  2. I did not know about UK Pizza Hut's veganness! I would say this is dangerous knowledge, but considering I STILL haven't had Pizza Express, I doubt I'll be trying PH anytime soon, but still good to know!

    ReplyDelete