Thursday 5 September 2013

Latke breakfast pie





I was standing at the bus stop after work trying to figure out what to make for dinner.  I was visualising what I had in the cupboards and fridge, and I remembered that I had a box of Manischewitz latke mix that I bought when I was in NY last year.  Then it hit me - breakfast pie with a latke crust.

I started making it as soon as I got home, because my projects tend to take a while.  I blended some Vegg to mix with the latke mix to bind it and spread the mix into the bottom and up the sides of my pie plate.  I baked this for a bit while I made the filling.

For the filling, I blended some of the haricot beans that I'd cooked in the slow cooker with more Vegg, then poured the mixture into a bowl and stirred in some sriracha, garlic granules, onion granules, salt, chopped frozen spinach, and diced roasted red pepper.  I poured the filling in and threw it in the oven while I made some Tempeh Sausage Crumbles from VwaV.

Once the pie had baked for a bit, I threw the crumbles on top.  Here's where it started to go wrong.  The crumbles were more of a mush than crumbly, and they didn't go on very well.  But it wasn't a complete disaster.  I put it back in the oven thinking it would take another 20 minutes or so.

About an hour and a half after I put the pie in, it still isn't finished.  I got a slice out before I realised this.  I put it back in the oven minus that slice (which wasn't exactly slice-shaped at this point), and I ate that bit.

It was actually pretty good.  The flavours worked well together, and nothing overwhelmed.  Even if it doesn't entirely firm up, it's still edible, and I have lunch for a few days!  It's not perfect or pretty (hence the lack of pictures), but it's tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment