Tuesday 2 October 2012

Vegan MoFo VI, Day 2 - Cookbook Challenge - Vegan Diner

Over on the PPK, we're doing what seems to be the annual Cookbook Challenge.  The point of this (if you've forgotten from the last 3 years) is that we vote on cookbooks from which to cook, then cook from them - 3 recipes each for the week that cookbook is chosen - posting the results in the dedicated thread.

As I mentioned yesterday, this week's book is Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson.  I hate to say it, but for some reason, though many of the recipes struck my fancy (because Lard knows I love diner food), I've hardly made anything from this book.

Tonight I made the Smoky Potato Scramble, because brinner is the best meal of the day.  The only mods I made were to slightly decrease the oil and slightly increase the nooch.  I'm super particular about my scramble, so I'm always pretty reluctant to try new ones.  And this one didn't have any cumin, so.

As it turns out, this was really, really good.  It suffered a bit health-wise by having onions as the only veg, but it was super tasty.  It was really easy to make, too, though slightly time-consuming due to having to first boil potatoes (which she does mention you can do the day before).  I think I'd make this again, though I'd maybe add some spinach or something to make it a bit healthier.

I had planned to make the Blue Plate Special - this scramble, cornmeal waffles, and gravy - but I didn't have the patience for it.  But I'm not firmly committed to my project for tomorrow (since we already have a pretty sizable amount of leftovers), so I think I'll make the other components tomorrow.

Do you have Vegan Diner?  What are your favourite recipes?

5 comments:

  1. It sucks watching the budget. I have so many cookbooks that I can't justify getting more until I get a little debt paid off. But I'm going to live vicariously through other PPKers for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoky soy curls! And the BBQ sauce. Mighty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Vegan Diner! my favorites so far are: Biscuits and Creamy Sage Gravy (good on mashed potatoes too)! Cheezy Mac, Smokey Curls, Old Fashioned Tomato Soup, Great Smoky Mountain Cheese. I should try something for the challenge ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh smoky potato scramble, I need to make that. I haven't made that much from the book yet but me & Nick both love the smoky mac and cheese and the sandwich made with the great smokymountain cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I borrowed Vegan Diner from my local library and there were a couple of recipes I wanted to try and I'm sure I made....something.... from it but I can't even remember! I do like the sound of the scramble - it's nice when a new recipe surprises you!

    ReplyDelete