Thursday 27 August 2009

Cookbook challenge, week 1, day 5 - Veganomicon

I know I said I wasn't gonna make anything for today, but I lied. I was reading through the PPK forum thread about the cookbook challenge, and someone else had posted that they'd made the Lower-Fat Banana Bread because that was all they had ingredients on hand for. Then I realised that I had 2 bananas that were in danger of going off because I never got around to making the smoothies they were intended to go into, so I decided to try something new and make the banana bread.

And when I say 'try something new', I really mean it, because I've never made banana bread before today. I'm not a huge fan of bananas - I only really like them when their taste can be masked by other flavours, which is why these particular bananas were initially smoothie-bound. But I made the Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding ages ago (late winter/early spring, I think), and I liked the way that the bananas combined with the chocolate and carob chips made the whole thing taste a bit like it had alcohol in it.

So, for today, I decided to make the bread as muffins (as suggested in the book) and added about 1/2 c carob chips (I took them out a few at a time because they fused together in my sister's luggage on the plane over here). I used slightly less oil/more applesauce than the recipe says to cut down on the fat as much as possible without leaving it out altogether. Here's the result:



I've had two already (after an hour at the gym and the 25 minute walk home, my small serving of leftover spaghetti and beanballs just didn't cut it). They're not bad - a bit of spice and the (insufficient) carob chips mask the banana flavour pretty well. I probably won't go out of my way to make them again, but if I do, I'll add more carob chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment