Monday 10 May 2010

Update on the jam tart crust

A couple of days ago, I wrote this post about jam tart. I wasn't terribly keen on the crust, and I decided to try a few things to make it better. Today, I made an apple tart with the same crust recipe. For a half recipe, I used GF flour (1/2 c GF mix, 2 tbsp soy flour, and 2 tbsp buckwheat flour - so double these amounts for a full recipe), and I used finely ground corn flour, rather than a medium grind.

From this, I learned two things - 1) Definitely use the finer grind, or it's just too gritty, and 2) it works with GF flour.

Also, my apple tart is awesome. I just sliced some Pink Lady apples, threw them in a bowl with about 2 tbsp of almond butter and maybe 3 tbsp of Monin caramel syrup (from my awesome coffee syrup purchase - £33 for 6 750ml bottles, shipping included), and layered them in the crust, then put the leftover crust on top and baked for about 20 minutes at 350F/175C. Unfortunately, I had too many apples and not enough crust dough, but it still worked out. I wish I'd had some vanilla Swedish Glace, but what can you do?

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I've never tried adding Monin caramel syrup to my apple tarts. As soon as I read it I thought YES! This MUST happen!

    ReplyDelete